It is such fun to find ways to celebrate life + when you have a toddler or two there is seemingly always something to celebrate!
Here is how we are (have been) celebrating (all month long) Valentine’s Day!
- Hung up our Valentine’s flag/s
- Made + mailed homemade Valentine’s cards + a care package
- Opened a fun package from the girls’ grandparents
- Watched Happy Valentine’s Day Charlie Brown (quite a few times!)
- Borrowed some fun seasonal library books
- We made up a new Valentine trail mix (recipe below)
- Set up a Valentine reading nook with some pretty garlands
- Ate all the festive Trader Joe’s snacks we could find (shared them here)
- Bath toys get rotated, so even bathtime got a little Valentine’s fun!
- Valentine surprised me with a beautiful wildflower bouquet
- Baked snickerdoodles + chocolate chip cookies, Valentine’s edition (red and pink milk chocolate M+M’s + dark chocolate chunks)
Now, as far as Ash Wednesday, (rough to have it fall on Valentine’s Day, yes?) we have a little work to do, my three year old was not too keen on receiving her ashes this morning + I think that it’s perfectly fine for her to be unsure for now! It is such a solemn day, so it’s a sign to see that she is observant enough to pick up on the differences between this service + a normal Sunday mass—at least I know she’s paying attention! This is a good start in my book.
I would be remiss if I didn’t honor an extra special Valentine today as well- my poppa was born on this day in 1919 + though he is no longer here, I smile thinking about him + how fitting it was for him to share his day with Saint Valentine. He was a great many things, but I was fortunate enough to know that he had a kind heart + he loved everyone in his family, deeply.
As promised above, here is the fun mix we made for Valentine’s Day! You could always leave out the pink yogurt raisins for a year round sweet-n-salty snack too.
XOXO + Happy Valentine’s Day!